Thursday, August 15, 2013

Birthdays, and life's greatest blessings

Tomorrow when Gavin wakes up, he will be 8 years old.  I can not even put into words how this makes me feel.  Every time one of my kids's birthday rolls around this overwhelming sense of nostalgia seems to rush over me.  I have heard it said countless times by other parents, but seriously... Where has the time gone?

While it is nice that my older two are now MUCH more self sufficient and can now do things to help me out, such as folding laundry, and vacuuming, I would trade that for being able to make time slow down, for being able to make those precious moments last just a bit longer.  Time is the one thing on this earth that money can't buy.  I wish I could bottle Gavin's laughter, or somehow preserve one of Ashlynne's sweet kisses. Because I know that some day, that laughter will be saved for his friends, because mom will no longer be funny, and those kisses, they will be saved for a boyfriend, or only for me when no one is looking. I wish I could stay up all night, and just watch them sleep, because I know overnight, they will have grown just a little more.

Tonight, when we were driving to dinner, I overheard Ash and Gavin talking about their friends. Ashlynne was talking about all of her best friends, and I was teasing her, asking her how many "best friends" she had. Gavin piped up and said, "I only have one, and it's Mom".  It seriously made my throat close up, and my eyes fill with tears. In times when they frustrate me, and make me want to pull my hair out, these are the moments I hope I always remember.  When Breckyn is throwing one of those lovely "terrible two" fits, I stop and tell myself, this too shall pass. But the trade off is that she, too, is growing up way too fast.

To all of my friends with young children: stop, take a deep breath, and enjoy it.  Time really does fly.  I know that I am a better person because God has blessed me with these amazing children.  Being their mommy has been the greatest joy of my life.

Happy birthday, Gavin!  I am so proud of the amazing young man you have become!!!

1 comment:

  1. Have a big thanks to you guys! Lovely post with all the aspects! Kids Ride Wild Site

    ReplyDelete

A few tips from your friendly neighborhood hairdresser during these crazy times!

Twenty twenty hit the salon industry hard.  I think I can speak for most of us when I say: we are tired. We are tired of Covid, we are tired...